Healthy Eating for Overweight Health Issues
Eating a healthy diet is one of the most important factors in leading a healthy life. Proper nutrition can also prevent many medical problems, including becoming overweight, developing weak bones, and developing diabetes. It will also ensure that children physically grow to their full potential.
The best nutrition advice to keep children healthy includes encouraging them to:
- Eat a variety of foods
- Balance the food you eat with physical activity
- Limit screen-time (TV / computer / videogames) to less than 2 hours per day
- Choose a diet high in fiber with plenty of grain products, vegetables and fruits
- Choose a diet low in fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol
- Choose a diet moderate in sugars and salt
- Choose a diet with enough calcium and iron to meet their growing body's requirements
You can help promote good nutrition by setting a good example. Healthy eating habits and regular exercise should be a regular part of your family's life. It is much easier if everyone in the house follows these guidelines, than if your child has to do it alone. Maintaining healthy eating is certainly a challenge but an important one to undertake.
The following websites are available to help encourage proper nutrition health for you and your child:
- Link to information regarding overweight children
Here are some Amazon.com links to books about obesity and healthy eating:
- The No-Diet Obesity Solution for Kids by Miriam Vos
- Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink
- A Parent's Guide to Childhood Obesity by Sandra Hassink
Nutrition4Kids.com is a resource for parents who are passionate about feeding their kids well, regardless of medical challenges or allergies. Once you have filled out your profile, the site will send you updates personalized for you and your child. Includes Q&A, Find Folks Like Us, Pinboards, Restaurant Reviews, Food Databases and Labels and more. Recent posts include:
- Obesity: When Does it Start and What Can We Do?
- Childhood Obesity Prevention Starts With Parents Modeling Good Food Behavior
- Schools Need to Help Fight Childhood Obesity
- Portions and Servings Guide for Healthy Childhood Eating
- Creating A Healthy Lifestyle For a Lifetime for Your Child
- Managing Your Child's Weight: Smart Choices at Restaurants